|Anti Gay Religious Prejudice. Humor about Homophobia, Shellfish, and Owning Canadians. Letter to Dr Laura, American conservatives, fundamentalist Christians.|
Anti Gay Religious Prejudice. Humor about Homophobia,
According to Leviticus:
shellfish, 2 threads, homosexuality ... and owning Canadians
A lot of things come into my inbox. One thing was an email denouncing homosexuality, with a lot of biblical quotes backing up the denunciation.
I've heard people with much more knowledge of the Bible than I have (I know it starts with the words, "In the beginning ..."), take these quotes and shred them, and then give another slew of quotes on the many other things that are abominations in the Old Testament, like eating shellfish.
Anyway, I was glad when an email from someone with a sense of humor came into my inbox. The next time someone backs their anti-gay stance with quotes from the Bible, I'll send them this email.
In the meantime, here it is. Enjoy. (I'll give my own view at the end.)
THE EMAIL THAT ARRIVED IN MY INBOX:
On her radio show, Dr Laura Schlesinger said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstance. The following response is an open letter to Dr. Laura, written by a U.S. man, and posted on the internet. It's funny as well as informative.
Dear Dr. Laura,
Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination ... End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Laws and how to follow them.
1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?
2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?
3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.
4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors... They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?
5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?
6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?
7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?
8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?
9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?
10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend).
He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14) I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I'm confident you can help.
Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.
Your adoring fan,
P.S. It would be a damn shame if we couldn't own a Canadian.
top of page
copyright © Elsa, 2012-2017 - all rights reserved
Elsa's Blog - Elsa Blog - Elsas Blogs
All content of this website is copyrighted.
To republish, you must include the link to the webpage.
For any further information, please contact.